[UNITED STATES] President Donald Trump is due to review a final plan for the sale of TikTok's US operations today, just days before the app is banned nationwide on April 5. The decision could determine whether the popular short-video platform, which is used by 170 million Americans, remains operational in the United States or is forced to shut down.
Key Developments in the TikTok Saga
The coming deadline originates from a 2024 law that requires TikTok's Chinese parent company, ByteDance, to relinquish its U.S. operations owing to national security concerns. Lawmakers are concerned that the Chinese government could use the app to obtain user data or sway public opinion. After taking office in January, President Trump extended the original January 19 deadline by 75 days to give extra time for a sale.
Today's Oval Office meeting will include Vice President JD Vance, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, National Security Adviser Mike Waltz, and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard. The White House has revealed that many purchasers are bidding for TikTok's U.S. assets, with Oracle and private equity groups like Blackstone emerging as major participants.
Potential Buyers and National Security Concerns
Oracle, TikTok's current primary cloud provider, is apparently leading a group of investors seeking to acquire the app's U.S. operations. Blackstone and other non-Chinese investors in ByteDance are also considering adding more funds to the transaction. The proposal contains safeguards to protect American user data and address national security concerns.
President Trump is optimistic about reaching an agreement before the deadline. Speaking from Air Force One on Sunday, he added, "We have a lot of possible customers. TikTok is wildly popular." He also expressed his desire to see the app continue active in the United States, citing its cultural and economic value.
Geopolitical Stakes
The negotiations have taken on a geopolitical dimension, with Beijing's consent essential for any deal involving TikTok's secret algorithm. To incentivise China's cooperation, Trump has proposed lowering tariffs on Chinese imports, a significant reversal from his previous strong posture.
This strategy emphasizes the deal's broader implications. Analysts believe that failing to reach an agreement could result in fresh tensions between Washington and Beijing. A ban would also upset millions of American users and businesses who utilize TikTok for marketing and community involvement.
What Happens if No Deal is Reached?
If ByteDance does not divest TikTok by April 5 and no other extensions are allowed, the app will be deleted from US app stores and internet services. This situation briefly occurred in January, when TikTok was offline for 14 hours before Trump extended the deadline.
The stakes are high for content creators and small businesses that depend on TikTok’s platform. “A ban would be devastating,” said Scott Sutton, CEO of influencer marketing firm Later. “It’s not just about entertainment—it’s about livelihoods.”
Deadline Flexibility
Despite the urgency, Trump has signaled he may extend the deadline again if necessary. “If it’s not completed, it’s not a significant issue,” he said last week. “We’ll just prolong it.” However, legal experts warn that repeated extensions could face challenges under federal law.
Broader Implications
The decision on TikTok's fate will have far-reaching consequences for tech regulation and US-China relations. It also raises growing worries about foreign ownership of digital platforms with large user bases. As negotiations continue behind closed doors, millions of Americans await word on whether they will still have access to one of their favorite apps on April 6.